Catholic education has a long history in the Kiama area, beginning when the Sisters of St Joseph who first taught at the Catholic School at Jamberoo. In 1908, St Joseph's School in Kiama was established, at this time lessons were taught in the old Railway School Building. On January 20th, 1952, the present Parish Hall was opened and used for classrooms.
In 1961, part of the eastern classroom block was built and these three rooms were completed in 1963. The brick double-storey classroom was completed in 1981. To accommodate increased enrolments, buildings were erected from 1981 to 1994. These included a new library and four new classrooms which were built on land adjacent to the convent. In 1974 the school's name changed to 'Ss Peter and Paul', bringing all parish buildings under the patronage of the same saints.
From 1887 to 1990, the Sisters of St Joseph played an essential role in Catholic education in our Parish. We are grateful for and very proud to acknowledge their work. By 1990, there were no sisters teaching in the school and their ministry became one of pastoral care in the parish.
In 2008, an extensive building program commenced which saw the demolition of the demountable block and the convent. A mass and celebration marked the removal of the convent and the foundation stone was retrieved to link the future buildings with the school’s past. The building program was supported by Federal government grants, parish funds and a parent building levy. Stages 1 and 2 of the project were completed in December 2010.
The school now has modern facilities to face the challenges of teaching into the 21st century.